Use coupon code "PSFORME" and get discount of Flat ₹150 Redeem Now
5 Most Poisonous Mushrooms

5 Most Poisonous Mushrooms

Mushrooms are enjoyed by many people all over the world, and are a divisive food that diners either love or despise. Those who enjoy eating fungi, on the other hand, must be cautious about which mushrooms they consume, as approximately 30 wild species are known to be consistently fatal due to high levels of toxicity, and at least 40 others have been proven to cause severe allergic reactions and, on rare occasions, death.

These are the five most poisonous mushroom species on the planet, and they should be avoided at all costs.

Fly Agaric

With its bright red cap adorned with white spots, this mushroom may look familiar because it resembles the iconic toadstool found in most fairytales and children’s stories. The muscimol and ibotenic acid in fly agaric are toxic to humans because they act on the central nervous system, causing loss of coordination, agitation followed by sleep, intense nausea, and occasionally hallucinations. The mushroom’s toxicity manifests itself about an hour after ingestion.

Despite a slew of symptoms, the fly agaric is rarely fatal to humans, but it poses a high risk due to sporadic intoxication-induced behavior. The same toadstools, however, are fatal when consumed by household pets such as cats or dogs who find them in the wild.

Deadly Dapperling

This gilled mushroom’s name speaks for itself. The deadly dapperling is found throughout Europe and Asia, as well as coniferous forests in North America, and is frequently misidentified as edible due to its amatoxin content, which is responsible for 80% to 90% of mycetism deaths. Inadvertently consuming the mushroom causes severe liver toxicity, which can be fatal if not treated promptly. Amatoxins have a 50% fatality rate if untreated, but a 10% fatality rate if treated, depending on the amount consumed.

The initial symptoms of amatoxin poisoning are mostly gastro-intestinal, but death may take some time because of liver failure.

Podostroma Cornu-Damae

ये है दुनिया की सबसे जानलेवा 'मशरूम', सिर्फ छू लेने से ही हो जाती है मौत

This rare mushroom’s red fruiting bodies contain trichothecene mycotoxins, which can cause multiple organ failure. Podostroma cornu-damae is an Asian native that has caused numerous deaths in Japan and Korea. Stomach pain, peeling skin, hair loss, low blood pressure, liver necrosis, and kidney failure are all symptoms. Poisoning, if left untreated, can be fatal in a matter of days.

Because it resembles the edible Ganoderma lucidum variety, Podostroma cornu-damae is frequently consumed in error.

Destroying Angels

Destroying angel (Amanita verna)
Destroying angel (Amanita verna)
Image credit: Mary W. Ferguson

The destroying angel mushroom is the most common toxic mushroom in the world, with high levels of amatoxins that cause fatal mycetism. Within two or three hours of consumption, the fungus begins destroying liver and kidney tissue, and sufferers experience violent cramping and diarrhoea, delirium, convulsions, and vomiting before succumbing to kidney and liver failure.

Because they resemble edible species, these all-white, oval-shaped mushrooms are commonly referred to as the fool’s mushrooms.

Autumn Skullcap

The autumn skullcap, which is about an inch and a half wide and yellow-brown to brown, grows on decaying coniferous trees. It is occasionally confused with edible species such as honey fungus, sheathed woodtuft, and velvet foot. These mushrooms can be found all over the world, including in far-flung places like the Arctic and far-flung places like Australia.

The skullcap, like many toxic mushroom species, contains amatoxin, which can cause death within seven days due to liver failure after diarrhoea, vomiting, and hypothermia.


Check out our PlantScience Carebox for a budget-friendly collection of premium skincare and hair care products. With all the right combinations in one box, we bring you the best of plants in an awesome gift option. Click here to order one on amazon today or visit for more info.


PlantScience blog is an insightful discussion to understand and explain the science behind the great success of plants – how plants live, survive. Nature at its best is a great repository of knowledge and most of it is still a mystery to our minds. However, at Atrimed PlantScience, we have resolved to investigate, comprehend, and apply nature’s best-kept secrets for the benefit of our health. We believe in thinking beyond, knowing beyond and using the best research capabilities to understand the science plants use to live, thrive, adapt and grow. In this blog, you will find details of some interesting plant facts, the science behind them, snippets of history, updates about science and many interesting secrets. Read, subscribe, share your comments about PlantScience with us. Thank you!

PlantScience Logo

You might like our PlantScience skincare offerings that will help heal, restore and nurture your skin in the most natural way – With the goodness of plants in their purest form and in the scientific way possible. Click here to check out our PlantScience store today.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest Posts